Iguodala, donuts & street names with Looney and Jordan Poole (+Kerr)
Steve Kerr spoke to media today as the Golden State Warriors still await the survivor of the Boston Celtics vs Miami Heat winner. The squad took the day off yesterday and had a “get what you need” day today (thus no workout footage), then will formally practice tomorrow before the media extravaganza of the NBA Finals begins in earnest on Wednesday starting with a practice session and media availabilities on the Chase Center main court before Game 1 on Thursday. [UPDATE: I had originally written there would be two media avilabilities, Tuesday and Wednesday, but I’m hearing that there’s only one on Wednesday, which allows for a travel day for the Celtics on Tuesday.]
Today after Kerr, fellow Milwaukee natives Jordan Poole and Kevon Looney then took podium. You thought Loon was only underrated on the court? I’m here to say that he’s one of the best interviews in the NBA. Yes: Looney! Below are the videos and below that are the notes and quotes. Most of the quotes ended up being written by yours truly, as the interviews today were not covered with the usual fervor by our local beatwriters and TV stations. Have a great Sunday!
DISCLAIMER: These are all just notes for my main workflow of YouTube videos, tweeted by beatwriters. I used to transcribe every interview but it became too tedious and not worth the investment for the small amount of views we got on the soundbites on YouTube. The links to the tweets are not available because sometimes I don’t use the full tweet and just having a ton of tweets on this website imo isn’t aesthetically pleasing and gets away from the main goal: transferring information (not so much entertainment) asap.
• Otto, GPII, and Iguodala will be integrated back into practice this week. Their playing status will be determined on how they feel after said practices. (Jason Dumas)
• “We won’t have a formal practice until tomorrow.” (me)
• Kerr said his players got a "rare" two days off to "decompress" and will have a formal practice tomorrow. Kerr called the break "meaningful." Kerr said not having to get on a plane until June 6 is "huge" for the Warriors. (Marc Spears)
• “Rocky path to get here” (first time healthy vs Nuggets first round)…Fortunately put a bunch of wins in the bank early…(Dallas creeping behind later)…hanging on to home court…this was a weird season in general in the NBA, with COVID…survival of the fittest.” (me)
• Kerr says he "always supports any form of peaceful protest. It's what our country is founded on." Kerr applauds Giants manager Gabe Kapler's protest of the national anthem. “He will probably take a lot of flack but I support him…Peaceful protest is the American way.” Also mentions March For Our Lives in a couple weeks. (Spears, Dumas, me)
• “We had a great mentoring system in place this year…Andre…humor and sarcasm and perfect messaging…emotional access.” (me)
• “It’s exhausting to be Draymond…playoffs, there’s time in between games.” (me)
• Looney working with Dejan Milojevic, strength, experience, film study to anticipate rebounds. (me)
• “took a long walk yesterday with my wife and dog…those days are probably gone now.” (me)
JP AND LOON
• Having days off… Pros: Rest, Cons: Game rhythm. (me)
• Starting at home: “home routine” (Poole)
• Which one of you is more famous right now in Milwaukee? Looney: “Jordan Poole’s hot right now.” Poole counters saying Looney has his own street. “Nah, I don’t got no street. Once he gets paid he can probably buy me a street.” (me)
• Looney on rebounding: “this year I’ve been way more consistent.” (me)
• How do playoffs feel different at home: “lot more comfortable…get the jitters out…just glad that Chase Center is rocking like this.” (me)
• Looney remembers 73-win season when Draymond told them they’re winning but not having good habits. (me)
• Poole: “they’ve been preaching to me that as well (last two years that playoffs are different)…use the regular season to learn…come into the playoffs and locking in on the things we’ve been working on all year.” (me)
• What happens at halftime that results in great Q3s, Looney: “get the early turnovers out…crowd gets behind it…Steph…great-shape athletes…Steve yells at us not to turn the ball over.” (me)
• Looney: “Took me seven years” to get chants. (me)
• Andre as a coach, Poole: “really meticulous…extremely real…won’t sugarcoat anything.” Looney: “really blunt…really huge on details…you might not think is that big…first thing he ever told me was go get me some donuts and that was pretty blunt to me.” (me)
• Navigating 15-win season, Looney: “I give a lot of credit to Steve ad Bob…didn’t overhaul everything…environment was still fun…attacking rehab hard (Klay and Dray)…as long as you work, you’re able to enjoy what you’re doing…hold you accountable…coach lets players have a say.” (me)
• Poole: “best thing that I could was try to learn…type of joy…guys are still around…told us what we were preparing for.” (me)
• Does Poole fall a lot? “If I gotta extend a little bit longer on the layup.” Looney: “I’m not falling down like him but I’m also not moving fast.” (me)
• On Andre teaching how to be a professional athlete, Looney: “where the greens at on your plate like he was my mom or something…He has a great feel of when to talk to the people.” (me)
It is always hard to sort out which is public and which is actual personality. Your précis were very enlightening. Thanks.
Regarding Jonathon Kuminga...
...it seems to me and reading way between the lines... some of the earlier comments by Kerr about his needing to run back all the time, Draymond mentioning he'd been late a couple of times, and that he has talent but doesn't really know how to play bball etc., along with the general comments from several about rookies needing to learn what it means to be a professional. And now recently by Steph lauding Moody for never being late, being professional and deserving of a video or something. Then Jordan Poole saying he realized that his first year how he acted and dressed in the locker room could be a distraction and it was a part of understanding fitting in on the team....
Could some of this be a subtle messaging to JK (along with the not so subtle off and on playoff appearances and minutes) ? Have not seen any of this speculation from media or journalists, so maybe its just me. Curious what you, who has some personal contact with team, may think of this...