Discover more from LetsGoWarriors
Kerr back from COVID protocols
[On G6, Brown/Klay/Looney/Wiggs notes & quotes + video]
Steve Kerr has cleared the NBA’s Health & Safety Protocols and was back at the podium for media availability. The video above is clickable. GPII was also set to be on the podium but had not done so at the time of this article’s publishing. We’ll have his notes & quotes on this site later, plus his video on the YouTube channel.
DISCLAIMER: These are all just notes for my main workflow of YouTube videos, tweeted by beatwriters. I used to transcribe every interview but it became too tedious and not worth the investment for the small amount of views we got on the soundbites on YouTube. The links to the tweets are not available because sometimes I don’t use the full tweet and just having a ton of tweets on this website imo isn’t aesthetically pleasing and gets away from the main goal: transferring information (not so much entertainment) asap.
• Steve Kerr on how wild Mike Brown's day was being named the Kings' head coach and going from getting the defense ready to being the Wariors head coach all in the same day: “Mike was fantastic, the whole staff was great…I left him alone a couple hours before the game” to get out of Brown’s way so he could “follow his gut” on game nights. (Dalton Johnson, Kerith Burke)
• Kerr says Mike Brown called him right after game 5 and told him his gut said to start Looney. Brown called him again after the flight home & said Steph Curry & Draymond Green were adamant about starting Loon. Kerr said, “Hell yea let's go!” (Kylen Mills)
• Kerr said Otto Porter Jr. was on the stationary bike today: “I talked to him and he said he was feeling better. We're hopeful he will be able to play Game 1.” (Anthony Slater)
• Kerr calls Game 6 a “special game” for Klay, Kevon Looney and Andrew Wiggins. “I thought that was critical, for Draymond to come out shooting.” (Johnson)
• On Looney playing 35 minutes: “That surprised me, I didn't know he had that in him... It was a fitting ending to the series for Loon because it was sort of a microcosm of his play and his consistency all year…After playing sparingly for much of the series. It's just a reminder of what Loon is all about. Just constantly staying ready and making an impact when he's called upon, and he's the ultimate pro.” (Mills, Mark Haynes)
• Andre Iguodala will be re-evaluated on Thursday, the Warriors say. (Johnson)
• Gary Payton II won't play to open the conference finals, but has been able to keep conditioning up since it's elbow injury. Kerr: "We're not ruling him out of the whole conference finals. We're not saying he's going to play either. It would be a long shot for him to play, but I think it’s a possibility.” (Slater, Kendra Andrews)
• On Klay: “I couldn't help but feel overjoyed for Klay, given everything he's been through, to see him knock down that final three and hold up six fingers and embrace the crowd, and vice versa. It just brought chills to me.”
• On Wiggins: “Also thrilled for Andrew Wiggins. I thought his defense and his rebounding were huge factors in the game. Then of course, he hit huge shots in the fourth quarter.” (Haynes)
• Kerr and his wife, Margot, started watching Game 6 together but it didn’t last long. Was he yelling? “Perhaps.” (NBCSBA, me)