Kerr, Stephen Curry, Taylor Jenkins notes & quotes, day before Warriors-Grizzlies G1
On GP2, Kuminga, Jordan Poole +more
Sorry been a minute since I posted on the website, but our YouTube channel has been very active, so hope you’ve joined us there at some point during the Denver series. Be sure to check out our game live chat commentary at 12:00PM tomorrow on YouTube, where it’s all about positivity and we rarely throw anybody under the bus in our analysis. Kinda like having the good vibes of Chase Center without the unnecessary and superfluous negativity you find on most social media platforms.
My workflow has changed a bit so I’ll be able to post these types of notes & quotes again moving forward, time-permitting — practices might be more doable than game days. Transcribing entire interviews hasn’t proved the best use of my time, so we now have notes and quotes from other beat reporters, as you can see in the content below. Obviously, there’s tons more information provided in the videos themselves. So again, just trying to find alternative ways to get our hands around all topics (not an easy task), aside from our YouTube channel.
But first, here are the latest videos relevant to this post:
The Golden State Warriors had practice before flying out to Memphis. Steve Kerr and Stephen Curry spoke to media. Meanwhile the Grizzlies did not practice but head coach Taylor Jenkins did a Q&A:
• Only 90 mins before Warriors scheduled to fly to Memphis they were still on practice floor. Yeah, they’re expecting a real battle with Grizzlies. (Monte Poole)
• Kerr praised Grizzlies player development back…how impressed he is with their development, getting in transition, being great defensively & being a hell of a team. Said Bane would be a top-5 pick if they redid the 2020 draft. (Evan Barnes)
• Kerr: Grizzlies well-coached and poised as they showed vs Minnesota. Also the called them the best in the league in crashing the offensive glass. (Barnes)
• Kerr says the three days off were "helpful" and “kind of perfect in terms of timing” as players could get shooting work on their own, time in training room but also Warriors didn't need the scrimmaging they would if it was a week off. Worked hard Friday scouting the Grizzlies ahead of Memphis beating Minneapolis. (Janie McCauley, Kendra Andrews)
• Kerr: “We don't really feel like we have a rival...We just look at Memphis as a rising young team that's really talented, and it's going to be a great challenge to try to beat them.” (Mark Haynes)
• On Brandon Clarke and Jaren Jackson Jr.: “bouncy athletic guys” (Meghan Triplett)
• Kerr emphasized the need of good execution against Memphis - a team that forces a lot of turnovers, blocks a lot of shots and crashes the offensive boards. Rebounding, and execution, was an issue for the Warriors at times v. the Nuggets. (Andrews)
• Kerr specifically mentioned that they are going to need Wiggins, GPII, and Kuminga’s athleticism this series. (Jason Dumas)
• “Gary, I think, is a player built for the playoffs”…will be counted upon again to help defend Ja Morant. (McCauley/Andrews)
• Kerr being tremendous per usual upon sharing how Raymond Ridder told him John Dickinson has three flights to get to Memphis as Anthony Slater Zooms in from Denver airport w/"iPhone" as his only ID on call: "I'm sure you're all rooting for opponents with large airport hubs." (McCauley)
• Steph: “I'm still a kid at heart, Monte (Poole). Dang, man, you got to flatter us first.” Curry continues on about the Warriors' “youthful spirits.” (McCauley)
• Game 1 is about how each team moves on from the last series and whichever team that "can figure that out the fastest will get off to a good start." (Triplett)
• Stephen Curry eats gluten-free as he just referenced eating healthier these days. (McCauley)
• On changing anything pertaining to free throws (10 missed last series): “Absolutely nothing. Same routine. Just got to stay locked in up here to trick yourself in the reps & expectation of what I can do at the line. It's all going to work itself out.” (McCauley)
• Steven Adams is still in health & safety protocols and is day-by-day, per Coach Jenkins. Jenkins said he is not sure when he will exactly be clear but said he trusts that he will be back quickly.
• Ziaire Williams is also day-to-day with knee soreness. (Triplett)
• Jenkins called the Warriors "one of the best together teams in the league" and said they have to be prepared to go out and play their best, unselfish and competitive basketball for 48 minutes. (Triplett)
• “I think that's encouraging that we were able to overcome most of our faults or mistakes...We have a new opportunity. Now let's reset. Let's refresh mentally & physically. Go out there and continue to stay resilient together & understand the areas that we're struggling in.” (Triplett)